Gingerbread Cookies with Peppermint Cream Cheese Frosting
by Taylor and Austin
This recipe started one cold day, when everyone in the house was craving something sweet. My brother and I started mixing up a basic gingerbread cookie recipe, which we tweaked to suit our tastes. Later, we began brainstorming different flavors for frosting that we could use to go along with the Christmas season. We came up with our yummy Candy Cane Cream Cheese frosting that is both delicious and festive.
6 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons shortening
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup molasses
1 egg yolk
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1. Cream together butter, shortening, and sugar. Add molasses and egg, and mix until well combined.
2. In a separate bowl, mix together dry ingredients. Slowly stir the dry ingredients into the butter and sugar mixture.
3. Refrigerate for one hour, roll out cookies, and then bake in a 350F (180C) oven for eight minutes.Candy Cane Cream Cheese Frosting
4 tablespoons butter
4 ounces cream cheese
1 3/4 cup powdered sugar
3 candy canes
1. Place candy canes in a Ziploc bag, and crush using a hammer.
2. Cream together butter and cream cheese, then add the powdered sugar. Stir in the crushed candy canes.
Decorate your cookies as desired. I do not recommend piping this frosting, because the candy cane gets stuck in the piping bag. However, this frosting makes a delicious filler for sandwich cookies! Use extra crushed candy canes as garnish. Enjoy!