Gajar ka Halwa
Try this easy-to-make sweet dessert recipe from India.
1 kilogram carrots (2.2 pounds)
1 liter milk (1 quart)
1 teaspoon cardamom seeds
3 tablespoons ghee (clarified butter)
2 tablespoons raisins
2 tablespoons almonds
2 tablespoons pistachios
450 grams sugar (2 cups)
1. Wash and grate the carrots. Soak the raisins in water for 30 minutes. Blanch and shred the nuts.
2. Put the water to boil, when it starts boiling add the grated carrots. Cook for 5-7 minutes.
3. Add the milk. Cook on a low flame for 1 hour stirring occasionally. Add sugar, mix well and cook till the sugar has dissolved and all the milk has been absorbed.
4. Add ghee (clarified butter) and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Add the slightly crushed cardamoms and the raisins. Mix well.
5. Remove the gajjar halwa from heat and arrange in a serving dish. Garnish with almonds and pistachios.
Serve cold, hot or at room temperature.