Scary Pasta with Eyeballs
by Joseph Silva
(Lindenhurst, NY, USA)
SCARY PASTA WITH EYEBALLS (perfect for Halloween!)
Kids will love this scary pasta dish for Halloween. The spaghetti looks like guts, sauce resembles blood, and best of all - the mozzarella balls make the perfect "eyeballs" to freak out your dinner guests!
Approximately 15 Fresh Plum Tomatoes
2 tablespoons Olive Oil
2 teaspoons Finely Chopped Garlic
4 tablespoons Fresh Chopped Basil
1 teaspoon Sugar
teaspoons Grated Parmesan Cheese
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 pound linguine (we use vegetable and whole wheat together)
10 – 12 small Fresh Mozzarella Balls
3 – 4 large Black Olives (optional)
1. Chop tomatoes into ¼” pieces.
2. Heat olive oil in large skillet or saucepan.
3. Add garlic to saucepan. Sauté for about 3 minutes.
4. Add tomatoes and basil to garlic. Simmer for about 15 minutes using the straight part of a spatula to “chop” mixture while it cooks.
5. Add sugar, Parmesan cheese and salt and pepper and allow to simmer 20 minutes on medium heat “chopping” and stirring occasionally.
6. While tomatoes are cooking, boil pasta for 11 -12 minutes or until cooked to desired firmness.
7. Drain pasta. Put in large serving bowl. Press one black olive into the middle of each mozzarella ball. Then top the pasta with mozzarella "eyeballs". Serve immediately.