How to Hold Chopsticks
Chinese people eat their food using chopsticks. The Chinese were the first to use chopsticks and they have been using them for over 3,000 years. Chopsticks are used to eat rice, noodles, dumplings, meat and vegetables.
Using chopsticks isn't as hard as you might think. If you're wondering how to hold chopsticks, here are a few tips:
- Begin by using your dominant hand (right or left) to hold the chopsticks.
- Hold the top chopstick like you're holding a pencil, gently resting the upper half of the chopstick between your thumb and index finger.
- Hold the bottom chopstick so it presses firmly against your middle finger.
- Hold towards the pointed end of the top and bottom chopstick, about 2-3 inches from the end of each chopstick.
- Line up both ends evenly.
- The bottom chopstick stays stationary and the tip of the top chopstick moves up and down using your index finger to control the movement.
- Pick up food by moving the end of the top chopstick towards the end of the bottom chopstick, catching the food.
Be patient. It takes a lot of practice! Start with bigger pieces of food, then work your way to rice, and finally tomore slippery foods.
With practice, you can master the challenge of how to hold chopsticks!
Clarissa the Mom Chef
Chinese Food Recipes.
Chinese New Year Recipes.
Asian Noodle Recipes.