Smiley-Face Fries (Souriantes)
by D. S. Lewis
My three year-old really loves fries. "Souriantes", my personal and very own recipe, is my way of making fries with a unique Caribbean flavor as well as giving her the chance to help out in the kitchen.
4 round (ball-like) potatoes (Sweet or Irish)
1 tablespoon green seasoning
1/4 teaspoon finely chopped pimentos
1/4 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
1/4 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
2 tablespoons olive oil
1-2 teaspoons salt
1. Wash and peel potatoes. Cut the potatoes in circles, with each circle measuring about 1/4 cm thick.
2. Using the edge of a teaspoon, make smiles on the potatoes. Using an ice-pick, bore two holes in the potatoes for the eyes.
3. Add the green seasoning, pimentos, garlic and ginger to the potato slices and leave to marinade for half an hour.
4. Add the olive oil to the frying pan and heat for 1 minute. Add the frying oil and heat until bubbles form around the wooden edge of a knife.
5. Add potatoes and fry until golden brown.
6. Cool the cooked potato slices and toss with salt, according to taste.