Green-eyed Monster Finger Cookies
(Surrey, B.C. Canada)
Serve up a sweet treat for Halloween. The kids will love these "bloody" green monster fingers.
1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup butter or margarine (room temperature)
1 egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
green food coloring
2 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
whole raw almonds
dark red jam (strawberry or raspberry)
1. Preheat oven to 350F (180C) degrees.
2. Cream butter and sugar together for about 35 to 40 seconds. Add egg, egg yolk, vanilla extract, chopped nuts, and green food coloring and mix well.
3. In separate bowl, sift flour, baking powder and salt.
4. Add flour mixture to creamed mixture and stir to blend well.
5. Shape dough into 3 - 4 inch rolls, with one side tapered.
6. Place whole almond at pointed tip of roll for fingernail.
7. Use knife to put 3 small slits in finger underneath the fingernail.
8. Press a small indent with your thumb into center of roll for a knuckle. Add shredded coconut into indented knuckle area.
9. Place fingers on ungreased baking sheet 1 - 1 1/2 inches apart. Bake for 15 minutes or until coconut is toasted and cookie is slightly browned.
10. Let cool.
11. Prepare jam. For best results, use a dark red "thinner" jam. If thick, warm jam slightly until it liquefies. Spoon jam over cookie for "blood" effect.